The kiss greeting thing is so awkward!

I decided to write on this topic cause its been disturbing me. AH! I live in a very very bilingual city and  kiss greeting is the order of the day. The first time i said hi to a a french african, she pulled me in and gave me two kisses on each cheek. Okay i thought this was extremely weird cause where I am from, you hug your close friends, shake you acquiantances or give a friendly wave. This happened in 010. Fastforward to 012, I got comfortable with the kiss greeting cause I attended a bilingual church  ( dominated by mostly french people) and this sorta greeting was a usual affair. It was not until yesterday I realized that i am still very uncomfortable with the kiss greeting. I guess i thought i was cool with it because i was around my church folk, which are people i see often and i've grown to know... 
Last night a friend of mine introduced me to some of his french buddies and i was startled again when each person pulled me in again with the 'kiss greeting'. As in lol I was caught off guard the the first friend could only kiss one cheek. Then the remaining 3 friends got both cheeks (lol i remembered where i was). I came to realize that i am only comfortable french kissing my friends or acquiantances, not people i just met. I really wish i could just say no to people, when they wanna greet me that way. I guess that will be my next project (operation WAKGS- War against kiss greeting strangers) :|

I really wasn't raised to greet people that way at all. It is just weird, like how do you just put your lips on someone's face especially someone you just met, all in the name of greeting. Abeg a hug or a handshake will do. That's just too much invasion of personal space (i sound very northamerican, hey can't help it)

Credit: http://health.feedfury.com/content/25150663-third-eye-chakra-how-to-kiss-the-greeting-kiss.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment